Herbs are medicines derived from plants, minerals, animals that can be used to nourish the body and treat diseases. Which may be in the form of food, traditional medicine or supplement that may help relieve inflammation. Slow down the development of Alzheimer’s disease, enhance heart health , may reduce the risk of cancer. Each type of herb has different benefits, methods of use and amount of use. If used incorrectly or in excessive amounts, it can have adverse health effects.
benefits of herbs
Each herb has different properties. It may help cure disease, relieve symptoms, or use it for body maintenance. Herbs that are popular in households are as follows UFABET:
is a spice that is a source of curcumin, an antioxidant that helps relieve inflammation. According to a 2017 study published in the Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine in the Netherlands, curcumin may help relieve pain. anti-inflammatory And eating turmeric may help prevent or delay Alzheimer’s disease.
Dried, fresh, and cayenne peppers are sources of capsaicin, which may help increase metabolism. make the blood circulation better According to a 2015 study published in the British journal Open Heart, capsaicin may improve heart health. speed up metabolism and may help reduce belly fat can reduce appetite
Cinnamon is very low in calories. May help fight inflammation from free radicals and help fight bacteria. and from research in journals Pharmacognosy Research 2015 indicates that cinnamon may help lower blood sugar levels in people with diabetes or predisposition to it.
Cardamom is high in minerals such as magnesium and zinc, which may help relieve upset stomach. And according to a 2017 study in the journal Lipids in Health and Disease, England, cardamom contains many antioxidants such as phenol, quercetin, and resveratrol. (Resveratrol) which may help against inflammation, constipation, diarrhea, colic, epilepsy, cardiovascular disease.
Garlic is a source of allicin that may reduce the risk of heart disease. And according to a 2008 study in the journal BMC Cardiovascular Disorders, regular consumption of garlic may help lower cholesterol levels and lower blood pressure. which reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease
Ginger may help relieve bloating and relieve nausea. from research in the journal Gastroenterology Research and Practice 2015 found that ginger may have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. and may reduce the risk of cancer
Peppermint has a cooling effect and has antibacterial properties. Good for gastrointestinal health, heart, blood vessels and lungs. It may help expand the bronchial tubes, making breathing easier when inhaled. Peppermint also may have a muscle relaxant effect.
Cumin powder is rich in iron. May Help You Lose Weight According to a study published in a medical journal. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2019 and BMC Complementary Medicine and Therapies 2021 found that fennel contains phenolics that are antioxidants. help lose weight control cholesterol and manage stress
aloe vera May have the effect of accelerating wound healing Especially burns and scalds. According to a 2019 study in the Iranian Journal of Medical Sciences, aloe vera can speed up the healing of burns. Compared to conventional drugs, it also helps prevent redness, itching and infection.
Andrographis paniculata may have properties to help treat many diseases. According to research in the Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Disease in 2014, it was stated that Andrographis paniculata contains diterpenes, flavonoids, and xanthones. Antioxidants that may be used to treat many diseases such as cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, stomach ulcers, leprosy, bronchitis, skin diseases, flatulence, colic, influenza.
risks of herbs
Herbs if used in excessive amounts or misused. It can cause harm to the body as follows.
Many herbs contain dangerous toxic chemicals. If the herbs are used incorrectly or received in excessive amounts It may negatively affect health or cause side effects, such as
- Oleander, once advised to bring oleander to boil drinking water to cure alcoholism. But when the patient has eaten, causing headaches, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and if eating too much, oleander may have a depressant effect on the heart. Causing the heart to slow down or may stop beating
- Ebony has properties in excreting worms. But mature black ebony may contain naphthalene. (Naphthalene) that negatively affects the nervous system directly Causes vomiting, fever, diarrhea, blurred vision, blindness or blindness.
- Loudspeaker directly affects the nervous system. Excessive use can cause dry mouth, thirst, red-hot skin, blurred vision, light sensitivity, hallucinations and mania.
- aloe vera There are few side effects when used properly. But if eating too much aloe vera can cause stomach pain and diarrhea because aloe vera has a laxative effect.
- Garlic: Eating raw garlic in excess May cause bad breath, heartburn, gas in the stomach, diarrhea, or may have an allergic reaction in some people.
- Andrographis paniculata if used consecutively for a long time May cause numbness of the limbs and weakness. In some people, there may be anorexia, abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, dizziness, palpitations, and hives may occur.
- Ginger: Eating too much ginger can cause skin rashes. Stomach gas, heartburn, diarrhea, mouth itching, and may increase the risk of bleeding in people with bleeding disorders.
From the examination of more than 100 types of herbal samples of the Faculty of Medicine Ramathibodi Hospital, it was found that they are often contaminated with various hazardous substances such as
- Approximately 60% of arsenic , a substance that can cause sore throat, abdominal pain, diarrhea, burning pain, tingling, thick black rash. and may increase the risk of cancer
- Approximately 30% of steroids are substances that may help relieve symptoms of some diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and asthma, but if used for a long time, it may cause swelling of the face, body swelling, acne, skin bruising easily, bones. Decay, etc.
- Mercury can cause gingivitis, tooth loss, canker sores, excessive salivation, and kidney failure.
- Lead can cause muscle weakness from abnormal nerve endings, abdominal pain, anemia.